Monday, August 6, 2012

Living into the Kingdom

The Gospel of Matthew the 25th Chapter contains the following words
34-36 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what's coming to you in this kingdom. It's been ready for you since the world's foundation. And here's why:
   I was hungry and you fed me,
   I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
   I was homeless and you gave me a room,
   I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
   I was sick and you stopped to visit,
   I was in prison and you came to me.'


 37-40"Then those 'sheep' are going to say, 'Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?' Then the King will say, 'I'm telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.' The Message

Sometimes people ask a question like this….“ I want to make my faith count locally and around the world. What can I do?” Being a member of the Chapelwood community I get the opportunity to work with some amazing and aware individuals who are serving and making a difference. Before you hear from them ask yourself  this….. Who are these in this passage the “overlooked and ignored” Are they not those with little clothing, food and drink (the under resourced). Strangers (outsiders) sick (powerless) prisoners (those with few or no rights).I think Jesus has them in his mind in this passage. Now hear from some amazing servants who are helping transform lives locally and around the world. Listen to what they have to say about this and how they are responding to the invitation that this scripture lays out....
“Pay attention to our school system.  The question I ask myself is are we educating all of our children?” Camille Bryan

“As a parent to school age children, I schedule time consistently to coach teams, bring supplies to classrooms, tutor and mentor in after school or in-class activities.  What I can do is practice a matching program policy, so that for every special activity or program I commit to for my own children, I provide a like, needed service for a Spring Branch area child.”  Allison Gower

“Pray "Oh God, create in me a willingness to respond to what I see." My prayer partner while I was in Haiti shared a great quote with me:  "God does not ask your ability or your inability.  He asks only your availability."  ... Mary Kay Ash “I will give unconditional love to children at a local elementary school” Carleen Woods



“I am hoping that my efforts will help in the development of underprivileged areas (education, health, standard of living) in countries that have limited resources to support it.  I am hoping my efforts will provide hope and love to those that are in need and will show them the love of God in their lives”. Dave Luther

“I don't believe there is any one solution to the many problems of our community, our country and our world.  But I do believe that a good education will solve many problems for many young people.  I have seen educational opportunities change the lives of not only individual students, but also of their families.  Every time I see a life changed for the better it's payday for me.” John Grubbs

“I believe that the single most profound investment I can make in the lives of others is my time and attention. It is an investment that pays both the giver and the receiver. There is nothing that blesses me more than to see someone I have come to care about blossom and grow due to, if even in the slightest degree, to my involvement in their life. Whether it's a young girl learning to play volleyball with the help of my coaching, or a student learning math, or someone that simply needs someone to really listen to them, in each and every instance I am enriched by the experience. Every time I show love to one of my brothers or sisters, I show love to Him.” Joel Hall

“I believe that the best way for me to make my faith count  is to be true to where God is calling me. I have found that by being still and listening, I come to understand where and how God asks me to serve. When I am faithful to his will, my faith truly counts for "the least of these". Ted Desforges







I ask you to consider this….How can you offer yourself to the under resourced, outsiders, the powerless and those with few or no rights here in our community and around the world? Jesus words remain Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment